Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

In Another City - The 'O' mystery

So Chennai has this fascinating beaches, great night life and the unlimited freedom to travel anywhere alone at anytime. But it all started to make a sarcastic smile as soon as the alphabet 'O' became a mystery!

In Chennai, there is nothing which starts with 'O' in English. For them, its 'Aa' and the better you say it, the better you are one among them. In Kerala, we used to say auto, omelet and office with a stress on 'O'. But Chennai never understands this  'O'. From day 1 till here,I have been teased by my colleagues, friends and room mates for saying Otto, Omelet or Office.

Sooner or later the 'O' mystery got out of me and I started saying Aatto, Aamlete or Aaffice. Yes, Chennai changes you in the way it wish and not the other way around. Just laugh at the change twice and you'll find yourself amidst the bustling crowd in Ranganathan Street or the busy Thyagaraja Nagar. Yes, you're among them. The one who says Vadai instead of Vada, Dosai instead of Dosa with less confusion. Each time, I say AA instead of O, i used to wonder who was that fine person who hated O and what was the crime O did to him!

So to the aatos, aamletes and aafice, I love Chennai!! :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Been there a decade ago doing my internship and later doing a job !!! Enjoyed every moment !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Prasadetta. In spite of the ire of summer, Chennai is a city that never leave a bad experience. I am just loving it here!!

      Delete